Book Your Hotel in Talisay City
Talisay, officially the City of Talisay and often referred to as Talisay City, is a 3rd city income class component city in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 227,645. In the 2016 electoral roll, it had 120,240 registered voters. Primarily a residential and trading center, Talisay lies within the Metro Cebu area.
The name of Talisay is taken from the magtalisay tree which is abundant in the city.
Talisay was founded in 1648 as an estate owned by the Augustinians. In 1849 it was converted into a municipality.
During both the American colonial period and World War II, Talisay served as a haven of colonial military forces. The municipality served as the center of guerrilla intelligence operations for the Philippine resistance movement in Cebu during World War II. The returning U.S. liberation forces landed on the beaches of Talisay on 28 March 1945, and were helped together with the Philippine Commonwealth forces and the Cebuano guerrillas, an event that marked the eventual surrender of Japanese forces on Cebu. That day is now an official holiday in the province of Cebu.
In 2000 the municipality of Talisay was converted into a city. The municipality is now linked to Cebu City via the new South Coastal Highway from Lawaan, opened in 2004. This brought some recent inward investment in the form of sub-divisions, but some hastily planned plagued by problems. Conflict occurred between the residents of the mountain barangay of Maghaway and those of Crown Asia’s Azienda Milan and Venezia sub-divisions. According to the National Statistics Office in its 2000 report, some 70 percent of the population of Talisay belongs to the urban poor. Talisay remains an important center for the production of blasting caps used in dynamite.